JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Sunday, June 04, 2006

revelations

It's been a looong time since I posted. I'll blame it on the perils of motherhood. While the days don't completely run together anymore, I still feel as if I'm busier than ever. In just 2 months I've:

  • Realized I can't wear nice clothes anymore b/c they'll be stained with drool, spit-up, or poop.
  • Given up doing my hair. I'm strictly a pony tail gal from now on.
  • Learned that babies may have tiny stomachs when they eat, but endless intestines in which they store the goods. I changed DD's diaper 3 times in 10 minutes the other day. Holy crap (literally)!

Sorry. This stuff has nothing to do with jazz. Especially since 2 of the 3 points I made had to do with excrement. Ah, converstaions with a parent of a wee one. I'll get back to the main topic here....

I've started to gig again. Been back at Panache since the beginning of May. If I ever made excuses for not practicing more before I take them back, since I'm pretty certain I won't have a chance to practice again for at least the next 18 years.

The first gig was pretty rough...I hadn't played in 8 weeks and I showed up as sucky as could be (thank you Larry and Jaimie for being very forgiving that night). Things are a bit better now but I still feel out of sorts somewhat. I guess I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I really am a very mediocre musician and now it's virtually impossible to do anything to improve. I'm lamenting about not practicing more when I had time...I shoulda put in at least 16 hours a day when I was in college, no less than 3 when I started working full time, and 5-6 when I began my work-from-home writing biz, thanks to my flexible schedule. Oh well...hopefully I won't suck forever. Or at least I hope the folks that play with me don't beam me with rotten tomatoes every time I hit a big fat crappy note. Or the audience for that matter. Oh wait, nobody really listens to jazz anyway.

Well, that's the news from the homefront. More later, and I assure you it won't be another month before I post again.

Happy gigging/listening!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chef Kevin said...

Ah, my blogmentor has returned!!!

"Realized I can't wear nice clothes anymore b/c they'll be stained with drool, spit-up, or poop."

Here is a fashion tip for you. Just buy some cheap chef coats. No matter how crappy they look you can still go out in public if you have to. Stained chef coats are supposed to look that way. Now if they come up to you in Schnucks and start asking you cooking questions......

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home