JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Forward, march!

My plan is in place. I've contacted my piano guys and solicited their opinions on the Thursday thing. Rehearsals look like a very real possibility and everyone's up for actually working on some new tunes.

It's interesting...as soon as I took a minute to identify the problem and pose a possible solution, I immediately felt better. Relieved. Like a two-ton brick had been lifted from my chest (how cliche). I kind of feel stupid for taking this long to take action...guess I actually liked being miserable and feeling like a failure and a cheat and a faker on a weekly basis. Ha. No, it wasn't quite that bad but I did have several nights where things just weren't fun any more. And I don't want that to happen.

So, I'm inspired and I'm beginning to think of a schedule for December. Making a list of tunes to work on, too. Kev and I went to see Gary Burton at the Showcase on Saturday and on the way up we listened to one of his CDs, with an all-star cast (Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes, Dave Holland). I fell in love with Metheny's tune Question and Answer and spent yesterday afternoon putting it in Band-in-a-Box and working it over. (Good soprano tune, I think.) For a Metheny composition it's not that difficult, with the exception of a 4-bar Coltranish thing ine the middle. It's a lovely modern-sounding waltz and totally doable...I hope to try it this Thursday with Kevin and Jamie.

So off we go, on to better things. Come out this Thursday and check it out! Panache. 7:30-10:00 pm. Coffee. Cheesecake. Jazz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home