JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Vote jazz!

Hope y'all got out there and cast your ballot today. In honor of election day, I think I'll spin my Bill Clinton CD, appropriately entitled "The Pres Blows." True story. Someone recorded him at a jam session in Prague (Reduta Jazz Club, January 11 1994). It only mildly sucks, but I still think it's cool that we had a pseudo-jazzer in the White House.

Spent Sunday "fixing" a solo from a recording session about a month ago. Sam Crain's new project features a bunch of great musicians and many of his wonderful original tunes. He kindly asked me to do a cameo on "Trail of Suds" which if you'll read some of my earlier posts, I did. My original solo was not so hip, tho, so I opted to rework it. Funny how particular you can get when working on this kind of thing...every solo "could" be better, and there's always something you want to fix. There comes a point where you just have to say, STOP I can live with that! Logging some studio time has certainly got me thinking about my musical weaknesses. I've spent a lot of time over the past week hashing out some stuff I've needed to work on for some time. It actually feels good to be practicing again.

Gigs o' the week
Thursday at Panache with Dave Hoffman (piano/trumpet) and maybe a bass player, if I hear from Jamie Jenkens soon
7:30 - 10:00 pm

Friday at Robbie's (Springfield) with the Swing Daddies
5:30 - 7:30 pm

I'm not playing Sat or Sun but Kevin's group is at Tonic (downtown Peoria) on Sunday from 7:00 - 10:00 pm. It's a new place trying to get jazz going so come out and support them, if you can!

New blog
I may have mentioned my new blog, Writing4You, before. Got a new post up today...I'm trying to keep this updated a couple times each week. Let me know what say ye if you decide to take a look. I've enabled comments on both blogs.

Happy Election Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home