JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Oh so dreary
I can't help it. I'm feeling lethargic and unmotivated. I blame it on the weather. The past 2 days have been dark and drippy. All of last week was the same. We did get a break over the weekend but that just wasn't enough for me.

But I'm fighting the dismal-ness with all my might. After all, it isn't as if I don't have anything to do. Still working on finishing up a couple of brochure projects, my Ezine is due out next week, the Jazzscope is coming about, and of course now I've got 2 blogs to maintain. And my other career, ya know, the music thang, can always use work.

Inner rhythms
Been banging on the drumset in the basement a bit. See, I always wanted to play drums as a kid--my metal Snoopy lunchbox made a great snare drum (I did manage to save enough allowance to buy a real pair of sticks) and my sister's variously-sized toy blocks served as a replacement for the full kit (excluding cymbals) I never had.

By the time I was old enough to join band, though, my parents tried to convimce me that the flute was a much nicer instrument and besides, all my friends were playing flute! So I signed up for the woodwind, and truth be told, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Took private lessons and everything, then decided I wanted to join jazz band in jr. high so I took up the sax. In college I discovered jazz and I haven't looked back since. But I never lost my longing to play drums, so...I married a drummer! Ha. Take that, Mom & Dad...now I can play whenever I want. And you don't even have to listen to me :-)

Anyway, the kit is set up in the basement so every now and then I go down an pound on it a bit. I actually have a few specific things I'm working on...got ahold of a couple of Kevin's teaching sheets, so my bossa novas and a few samba-type things are coming along nicely. And of course, who doesn't like to rock out now and then? I'll attempt a few pseudo-funky grooves (I'm sure I sound as white as can be...but who cares? It's just me listening) for fun. (No complaints from the neighbors yet, so we're doing just fine.) I got rhythm. It's the coordination thing I'm concerned with.

Blogging around
Did a search on jazz blogs just now. I don't think there are that many out there but I did find a few for your browsing pleasure. Of course, they won't be nearly as entertaining as mine...ha.

be.jazz
jazzthinks

Both are significantly brainier than my beloved JazzWriter. Of course.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home