JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Sunday, January 02, 2005

happy new year!

Well it's here. 2005. Seems it was just yesterday we were cruising the aisles at Wal-Mart, buying up duct tape and bottled water in preparation for the (falsely) predicted Millennium bust.

As many of us do each year, I've made a few New Year's resolutions. They are:

Kick butt with my writing biz . More specific goals are listed on a my bulletin board but I'm sure they won't interest you folks, so no mention of these here.

Get more gigs! I'm staring at a pretty blank calendar right now, save Thursdays & Fridays (the regular gigs). Got a couple of Swing Daddies dates lined up, and I'm in the process of booking some weekends at Dominic's, which recently re-opened. But beyond that, I got nuthin'.

Practice more. Regularly. It's amazing what happens when one practices. You learn stuff. YOu sound better. YOu feel better, even if you don't really sound better. You get more confident. It's an all-around good thing.

Learn more tunes. I mean really learn them. I think I have a mental definiency that won't allow me to memorize changes and stuff, because even though I've played, say, "Beautiful Love" a thousand times, I still can't play at my best w/o the stupid changes in front of me. I'm torn now between spending my time trying to memorize the thousands of tunes that everyone around here plays or really, really trying to play good stuff while reading changes. If I were a great musician this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm not, so it is.

Work out regularly. I've been a member of the ISU Rec Club since we've lived in B-N (3.5 years) and I hit the gym about 1 or 2 times each week. I need to be more diligent about this, 3 times would be ideal. Now that I'm 30 I'm sure my metabolism will be slowing down and cellulite, love handles, and tummy flab will begin to invade. Some of this already has. Yuck.

Of course I have other resolutions. Some are a bit more personal and I won't post those here for the world to read. Some I'm sure you won't care about at all. Heck, you guys probably don't care about the stuff I've mentioned here! Don't blame ya.

That's it for now. Enjoy the last day of the first weekend of this new year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home