JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

all of me

Found a couple more jazz blogs, both written by DJs of sorts:

Jazz & Conversation
Jazz Portraits

Summer is about here, and gigs are picking up. I'm "on call" for a wedding for Saturday. The group's sax player is out of the country and if he's not back by Friday night, I guess I'll get the good word. It's a private event---in town!---and the only gig in my book for the weekend, except for the regulars: Thursday at Panache (w/ Dave Hoffman & Jamie Jenkins, and I just heard Dr.Bob may be showing up) and Friday at the Pere with the Fulton Street Gang.

My eyes are watering and my head is swimming from staring at the computer screen all day. Been working nonstop today to finish some web content for a client, with the exception of heading over to the store to teach lessons. 2 students didn't show today, and I'm pretty sure one of them thought it was Monday. The other is hit or miss...he's here one week, not the next. He missed last week too---I'm not sure of his interest level. He doesn't practice, or converse, and he likes Good Charlotte instead of Benny Goodman.

Which brings me to a question I posed to Kevin yesterday during our drive to his folks' house: if anything can be sold if marketed properly, why can't jazz be successful? If the media would take an artist--not a Diana Krall or a Jane Monheit (Kev's examples)--let's take someone really talented, not watered down musically and perhaps even ugly (my example) and tell the public that it's the next big thing. Kids have got to download it on their iPods and they've got to check out the next live show. Couldn't jazz make it? Why not? Why do bands with little musical talent and lots of tattoos and makeup rake in millions while artists who play insightful, complex music are struggling to make a living?

There's got to be a way to make this work. We listen to the media. We rely on the media to tell us what's hip and what's not. Just glance at the magazine rack next time you're at the checkout counter and you'll see it's true: People, Star, Nat'l Enquirer, various fashion mags. I want to do a project, a research project. I want to convince the media to sway the general public to listen to Joshua Redman and Nicholas Payton. I want record sales (jazz) to surge past the 2% they currently make. I want I want I want. Guess I'm just like everyone else, after all.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Look, we're almost halfway thru the workweek already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home