JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Monday, September 20, 2004

An eventful weekend it was! (Well, maybe not so much eventful as busy.) I'm so sad it's over! Played several gigs...which of course means I wasn't home at all since they were all in Peoria. Saturday morning we did, however, manage to get the lawn reseeded and I am anxiously waiting lush, green grass to sprout. Had the sprinkler going in the front yard this morning and it not only provided nourishment for the grass, it offered entertainment for the kids up the street. None of them are school-faring age yet, and their mom takes them for stroller-strolls daily around the block. A little while ago I heard shrieking coming from the front of my house and when I looked out, saw a drenched kid on his bike laughing like crazy. The younger kid in the stroller, being pushed by mom, of course, was more terrified than excited. She was bawling and mom was trying to tell her it was all right, water is good and it won't hurt you...but the kid wasn't buying it.

Occasionally I'm assured that this blog is being read. (Thanks, Sam :-) So here's a piece of news for all you folks who tune in for music-related comments: today on WGLT's Blue Plate Special (featured artist airplay during noon and 1:00 pm) J. Geils will be featured. That's right, children of the 80s--J. Geils sang the one-hit-wonder "Centerfold." (Nah, nah, nah-nah-nah...) Apparently he was into jazz and blues before exploring his rock roots. He's released a new album with, I assume, more jazz focus, and you can bet I'll be tuning in. Don't know if he's singing or doing an instrumental thing, but it should be interesting either way.

Gigs for the week are as follows:

Wednesday, Sept. 22 @ the new Radisson Hotel in Peoria (formerly Jumer's, then formerly the Peoria Castle Lodge)
Grand Opening Celebration
5:00 - 8:00 pm

Thursday, Sept. 23 @ Panache
with Kevin Hart & Donovan Hill
7:30 - 10:00 pm

Friday, Sept. 24 @ the Hotel Pere Marquette
with the Fulton Street Gang
5:00 - 7:30 pm

Saturday, Sept. 25 isn't a gig but I've been asked to play on Sam Crain's recording session, on his original tune "Trail of Suds." (So guess what I'll be practicing this week!!) It's a light, fun tune that may replace my vote for the "happiest jazz song ever"--formerly deserving of Sonny Rollins' St.Thomas. Anyway, I'm flattered to be a part of this project and am looking forward to playing with the guys on this tune.

Now it's time to work.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home