JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Friday, March 25, 2005

here's that rainy day

By now you've probably noticed I tend to use weather-related post titles (tune titles) quite often. Don't ask me why 'cuz I don't have an answer for ya. Maybe it's b/c we're in this transitional period between seasons--which can be so gosh dern depressing. I'm not depressed, mind you, but it's sure hard to be Little Miss Sunshine when gray skies are continually dampening the days.

Anywho. Played last night at Panache and had a really good time. Had to find a drummer last minute (thanks, Mike!), but that worked out fine. Actually, I rarely use drums at Panache due to financial constraints, but every now and then it's nice to have someone kick a groove. And this week I really wanted to have that full group sound. Doug drove from Galesburg to play some bass & Kevin and I trekked from B-N as usual. Doug's sounding good...he's an excellent trumpet player, and about a year or so ago he also decided to take up the bass. Doug bought Andy's rig when before he left for Guatemala so he's got a nice setup. I've played with him occasionally over the past 6 months or so and I'm noticing steady improvement...too bad he's thinking of moving back to St. Louis! We can certainly use more bass players--esp. upright--in the area. BTW, Doug's got a real creative blog that combines life stories, ficticious events (i think) and rhythmic musings. Some good stuff here, check it out.

Playing today at an open house/sale-type-thing for a car dealership. Sounds like they're gonna feed us, which is always a bonus. I'm just happy to have a gig in town!

Other news...got an email from the Yellowjackets mailing list today--the group's new CD, Altered State, was just released. I'm hoping to head to Borders tonight and pick up a copy. I know it'll be awesome.

Ok, chat time is up. Back to work for me. Just finished a couple of assignments for DGM and I've got to get to work on a newsletter for a new client. Hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll see you back here real soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dug said...

love the tune titled posts. yeah, it was nice to play again at panache. mike plays really quietly.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home