JazzWriter

I'm a freelance writer by day and a working jazz musician by night, and often I am able to combine my two lines of work. This blog is for posting gigs & various rants about music and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Illinois, United States
View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net

Monday, August 30, 2004

The final days of summer are approaching. Next Monday is Labor Day, a date that has our gullible little brains believing the following rules: "hot weather, bye-bye," "bust out the sweaters and dust for moths," and "banish your white shoes."

None of which is true. At least, not in the Midwest. Although the summer has been cool there very well may be a surprise week or two of humid air that sends us scrambling to chuck on our air conditioners again. Ya never know.

But I digress.

Said goodbye to two very good friends last week. The Crawfords, our Guatemala-bound pals, left on Friday for their 2-year stint in the Peace Corps. It's strange to think that we will not see them for 2 years (and 2 months) at all! They will be missed, but I sincerely hope they experience the best of whatever it is one experiences in South America on such a trip. I know they will truly make a difference in the lives of those they work with.

My September issue of WriteTips (Ezine) comes out Tuesday. If you haven't signed up yet folks, do so! I've been working long and hard on it each month and trust me, there's lotsa good stuff in there for the types who want writing & marketing tips for biz.

And back to the music. Got 2 students now at the music store. One is a flute student and the other is a beginning sax player. The sax student will be fun. The flute student...well, I'm a bit worried. I said I'd take on beginniners since nobody else was teaching flute. First lesson was last week and she pops out her Advanced Rubank book. Granted, she had only worked through a few exercises but sheesh...I'm not even sure I made it to the Advanced before I switched to sax! So, I bought the book too and will try to stay a step ahead. If things get too tough I may have to bail...it's nerve-wracking for me an unfair to someone who really wants to learn. We'll see how it goes. Duets are good. Gotta get a good flute duet book.

Gigs open to the public this week:

Thursday, September 2
Panache with Dave Hoffman (piano & trumpet) and Doug Falk (bass)
7:30 - 10:00 pm

Friday, September 3
Hotel Pere Marquette with the Fulton Street Gang
5:00 - 7:30 pm

I may write again before the end o' the week.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home